Sunday, July 29, 2012

AIDS quilt display Washington, DC July 2012

Aids quilt on mall 1996

AIDS quilt panel for Dan Griffin displayed on the Mall in Washington, DC in 1996

The entire AIDS memorial quilt is in DC. The panel I made in 1996 for Dan Griffin will be displayed July 5 through July 8, 2012 as part of the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival. The last time the entire quilt was displayed in DC was in October, 1996. It is the most amazing work of art I have ever seen. It touches the hearts of all who view it.

Linda and Dan
Linda Morgan and Dan Griffin

It's going to be ugly hot around here for a while - I really hope I can find a day to go visit the quilt and see the panel I made for my dear friend. Here are some old photos and the original pencil sketch made by my husband for the panel.

Aids quilt pencil sketch
Original sketch by Bill Morgan

This is the most meaningful piece of art I have ever made. The size of the panel is 3 feet by 6 feet the size of a grave. Shortly after Dan's death I saw the Names Project workshop on K street in Washington DC. I was moved to tears when I walked in. I knew I needed to make a panel for him. All these years later it still brings tears to my eyes.


Aids sketch and finished panel

No comments: