Friday, March 8, 2013

Broken China

Just relaxing and watching TV after a long day at work.  I hear multiple crashes and breaking glass behind me.  After letting out an impressive scream I turned hesitated and screamed louder and longer.  When I heard the crash behind me I thought 5 glass vases with dried roses in them fell from the high cabinets above the refrigerator and shattered on the kitchen floor. When I turned and saw a six place setting of china broken all over the floor I thought earthquake?  No must be ghosts (no kidding I really thought that).  It ended up being two plastic shelf supports that just had enough weight after 20 years. Note: all the plastic shelf supports are now metal shelf supports.

The debris field extended 10 feet from the cabinet.  Shards of china ended up in the cat's food and water dishes.  A lone sugar bowl handle was at the other end of the kitchen.   My husband quickly took charge and had me go get some cardboard boxes to put the broken china in then swept, vacuumed and mopped the floor.

The china is/was Theodore Haviland made in America the Georgia pattern we owned it for 30 years and before that it came from an estate sale in Southern Maryland.  I'm not sure what I will make from it but I will make a mosaic of some kind from it.  It's just to pretty to throw in the trash.  Two large plates, a salad plate and saucer survived.  A vegetable dish that was on another shelf also survived.

broken china 1

broken china 2

broken china

No comments: