Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Art filled Lunch in DC


The Renwick Museum http://americanart.si.edu/renwick/ (which is a whole 2 blocks away) is one of my favorite lunchtime haunts. There is a guard stationed inside that looks through your purse and bags before you can enter. As she was going through my purse, she told me that the permanent collection on the second floor had been changed and that they are installing a new exhibit on the first floor. I walked up the long stair case to the salon and saw lots of beautiful paintings that I had not seen before.

The exhibit that really caught my eye was Beth Lipman's Bancketje (Banquet). This piece of art is a twenty-foot-long oak table overflowing with 400 blown and lampworked glass objects. There are even pieces on the floor that look like they fell off the table and broke. Very cool.

While I was there I looked at all the books in the gift shop one that caught my eye is Handmade Nation http://www.amazon.com/Handmade-Nation-Rise-Craft-Design/dp/1568987870 and the author is going to do a screening of her film and book signing on July 16 at the Renwick. Wow, I put that on my calendar right away. "Faythe Levine, co-author of Handmade Nation, traveled 19,000 miles documenting the do-it-yourself movement across America and has decided to travel a bit further to Washington, D.C. Enjoy a screening and a discussion of her wildly popular documentary Handmade Nation.Book signing follows." http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apPrJtMyvNI
It's always a nice break in the workday to see beautiful, thought provoking art. I also found out that you can take photos of the permanent collection if you don't use flash. So I will be returning with my camera and share some of the wonderful art.

No comments: